One of our favorite activities in the Winter is playing with playdough. But, even more fun than playing with playdough is making our own! It's so much softer and you can make all the colors you want. Plus, kept in an airtight container it will stay good for months.
You will need:
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- Up to 1.5 cups boiling water (adding in increments until it feels just right)
- food coloring (not necessary but who wants just white play dough!?)
Optional additions are essential oils-lavender, peppermint or whatever you like. We've also toyed with adding a bit of glitter for some extra sparkle!
How to Make:
- Mix the flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl
- Add food coloring TO the boiling water then into the dry ingredients (color optional)
- Stir continuously until it becomes a sticky, combined dough
- Add the glycerine (optional)
- Allow it to cool down then take it out of the bowl and knead it vigorously for a couple of minutes until all of the stickiness has gone. * This is the most important part of the process, so keep at it until it’s the perfect consistency!*
- (If it remains a little sticky then add a touch more flour until just right)